Subscribe now for great recipes straight to your inbox

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday 16 April 2015

Don't Say Never Trust A Skinny Cook: Bhindi Masala

I'm sorry about the radio silence - things have been a bit hectic recently, but I'm now back in Manchester and ready to give you a new recipe for Don't Say Never Trust A Skinny Cook. Yesterday *the day before yesterday now*, I had a couple of friends over for a meal so that we could all catch up after our holidays and before exams. I decided to make light murgh makhani and naan for us but then I realised that there weren't really any vegetables in the meal so I thought I'd find some okra to cook. Well, the only place I knew sold okra was in the centre of town but I didn't want to go there and so I searched high and low along Oxford Road for some to no avail. Fortunately for the okra plan (unfortunately for my timings) my phone had an issue, causing me to go it to town to get it fixed so I was able to buy okra. This curry is the result of that search. Bhindi means okra, in case that's not obvious!

It's a dry curry that can be quite spicy (I'm reducing the chilli here) but is fresh and delicious and vegetarian, so makes a useful dish in case you're doing a curry night for and need a vegetarian option. I found this recipe on this website and have made a few changes. If you can't find fresh okra (bigger Tesco seem to have it and some Waitrose stores) then on an online Tesco order in the past I was able to buy frozen okra, which is terribly useful to keep in the freezer just in case.

Bhindi Masala Recipe

Takes about 45 minute to make
Serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as a main with rice.

Ingredients

200-250g okra
1 onion, diced
4 or 5 medium sized vine tomatoes, diced into 5 mm cubes
½inch of ginger
3 garlic cloves
1tsp ground coriander
¼tsp chilli powder - you can always add more!
½tsp turmeric powder
½tsp garam masala
3tbsp oil

Method

Heat 2tbsp of the oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
Top and tail the okra and then cut each piece in half before adding to the hot oil.
Cook the okra for about 10 minutes until they are cooked through (not crunchy). Remove from pan and place in a bowl.
Whilst the okra is cooking cut up the onions and tomatoes.
Add the last tbsp of oil to the now empty pan and then pour in the onion, cooking until translucent.
Grate the garlic and ginger into the pan.
Sprinkle over the coriander, chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala.
Tip in the tomatoes and stir everything well.
Cook until the tomatoes are soft, adding a little water if it becomes too dry (it shouldn't have a sauce but the tomatoes and onions should stay looking damp).
Return the okra to the pan and stir well.
Season to taste and cook for a few more minutes.
Decant into bowls and enjoy!

You may also like these recipes to make an Indian feast...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to cook and this blog follows my successes (and a few failures) in the kitchen. If you enjoy my posts, or think there is a problem with a recipe then please let me know