Subscribe now for great recipes straight to your inbox

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday 9 February 2015

Don't Say Never Trust A Skinny Cook: Korean Stir-Fry

Well, it's been a busy week and this week promises to be even busier, though I've almost finished another post so I'll put that up on Wednesday or Thursday. I had a self defence class last Wednesday and learnt that if anyone tries to choke me they'll have no chance - my neck retreats like a turtle's as soon as anyone gets near. On a more serious note, whilst I hope that I never ever have to use the skills that I'm learning, it's good to know what to do just in case. On Saturday, I went to Glamorous restaurant to eat dim sum (I'm missing Singapore's food (and heat)) with a couple of friends, and purchased Fuchsia Dunlop's book Every Grain Of Rice, which I'm excited to try recipes from. Upcoming, I have another self defence class, a trip to the city art gallery for my WW1 poetry class, lots of lessons and excitingly, I have two mega events. The first, on Thursday, is an event at Harvey Nichols here in Manchester to celebrate Chinese New Year with a tasting menu and cooking demonstrations by Ching-He Huang, and the second is that my mum is making a flying visit on Friday to see The Lion King, drink cocktails and eat more dim sum!


This dish is one I've been humming and ahhing about putting in this section for a while but decided that it's fairly healthy and apparently asian food (proper stuff, not takeaways) is very good for you, lots of veg, not too much meat and rice not pasta.  It's stir-fried pork and peppers with sesame seeds and a yummy sauce. I found it in the January issue of BBC Good Food magazine, but have adapted bits to suit my needs.

Korean Pork Stir-Fry
Serves 2
Have everything sliced and ready to go as it's a bit go-go-go when you start cooking
Serve with rice

Ingredients
2tbsp sesame oil
25g sesame seeds
1tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp mirin
2tbsp chilli sauce
25g freshly grated ginger
300g pork (preferably loin)
5 spring onions
2 red peppers
1 carrot

Method
Cut the peppers into long strips and do the same to the pork, peel the carrot into long ribbons. Cut the spring onions into long slices.
Mix half the oil, sesame seeds, soy sauce, main, chilli sauce and ginger together in a large bowl and add the pork to the mixture.
Heat the other tablespoon of sesame oil in a wok or large saucepan and when hot add the pork with the marinade and stir-fry for 5 minutes until browned.
Add to the pan the peppers , carrot and spring onions and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, so that the meat has cooked through and the vegetables softened.
Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to cook and this blog follows my successes (and a few failures) in the kitchen. If you enjoy my posts, or think there is a problem with a recipe then please let me know