Subscribe now for great recipes straight to your inbox

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Sunday 12 October 2014

Gluten-Free Brownies



We all know someone who's coeliac or doesn't eat gluten, it's becoming a common phenomenon now.  I came across this recipe years ago when a friend was newly diagnosed and envious of all the cakes and sweet treats that everyone seemed to be enjoying. It's such a good recipe that it's now my go-to brownie recipe, although I rarely use gluten free flour as none of my immediate friends here are coeliac. The only problem is if someone is allergic to nuts as the way the recipe keeps down the flour is by using ground almonds. On the other hand, if you like nuts then add hazelnut butter in place of half the butter (keeping the other half) - it makes it taste of nutella!




Coeliac Brownie Recipe
Use a 9 inch by 9 inch-ish tin, lined with greaseproof paper
I tend to double this recipe and use a longer, rectangular pan whose dimensions I can't tell you as I don't have a ruler!
You need a bain marie (a bowl over hot water that doesn't touch said water) but it's a one pan job until you put it in the tin that you can leave the brownies in until they're finished (which doesn't take long!)
Oven at 170˚C

Ingredients
100g chocolate, I like milk chocolate but dark also works, as does white if you want to make Blondies. If you use white chocolate then make sure it's good quality as the fats in it make it a slightly precarious chocolate to use - Green & Blacks, Valhrona or Callebaut are the best that I've found.
100g butter
150g (golden) caster sugar
2 eggs
75g ground almonds
2tbsp gluten free self raising flour (I believe Dove's Farm is the one I used to use)

Method
Melt the chocolate and butter in a bain marie, stirring lots.
Take the top half of the bain marie off the heat and stir in the sugar, followed by the eggs (persevere until they're all incorporated - it can take a bit).
Next stir in the ground almonds and flour and you're ready to put the brownie mix in the tin.
Pop it in the oven for 20-30 minutes (normally 25 but check every few minutes after 20). They want to be slightly cracked on top but with a very slight wobble still as it will continue to cook once it's out of the oven.


Are you coeliac? If so, what's your favourite sweet treat that doesn't involve gluten?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to cook and this blog follows my successes (and a few failures) in the kitchen. If you enjoy my posts, or think there is a problem with a recipe then please let me know