Subscribe now for great recipes straight to your inbox

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday 10 October 2014

Fajitas

I've been struck down by fresher's flu (despite no longer being freshers) so my cooking and blog writing has suffered a bit. I'm now well again and raring to cook some more. So far so good on that front: this week I've made scotch eggs, pasta, 4 batches of brownies, fajitas and tortilla española. In making all of that I have used up two dozen eggs! The meal I'm telling you about today is the only one that doesn't contain any eggs.

I'm not going to say that there's a recipe to make fajitas because there isn't, not really. Just choose the options on the list that you want, cook the chicken/quorn in the fajita seasoning mix and the relevant veg then place everything in bowls on the table. Voilà, one fun meal for everyone to enjoy. The photos were taken by Sarah, who stood on a chair, announcing she felt tall, in order to take some of the pictures.



Fajita "recipe"
Take your pick as which bits you want.
Put the tortillas in the microwave according to the instructions on the pack (normally about 30 seconds for 4).
I tend to serve two tortillas per person, heating the second ones as everyone finishes their last mouthfuls of the first.

Ingredients
Chicken (one small breast per person) or quorn (especially for Grace!) to the same amount as the chicken.
Fajita spice mix (mine's from Barts and I got it at Waitrose)
Shredded lettuce
Hot and/or cold sweetcorn (my sister will only eat it cold, ick!)
Salsa (Tracklemore do nice ones - I found it really difficult to find salsa in the small supermarkets near me and wound up buying mine in a cheese shop in Didsbury)
Chipotle sauce (Changos in Manchester does the best and they now sell it in store)
Grated cheddar cheese
Tortilla wraps
Mushrooms sliced and fried in butter
Melted red peppers and onions (2 of each plus butter)

the peppers and onions beginning to melt down

Method
Cook 2 red peppers and 2 onions, cut into long strips, in about 50-100g of butter over a low heat for 30 minutes, keep the lid on and stir occasionally, adding more butter if needed.
Cook the chicken/quorn in butter and add the seasoning to taste.
Heat/cut the rest of the ingredients as you wish and place in bowls.
Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Remind everyone that there's got to be enough for another round and tuck in!


What do you put in your fajitas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to cook and this blog follows my successes (and a few failures) in the kitchen. If you enjoy my posts, or think there is a problem with a recipe then please let me know